Sarwa is An Assosiation which
- Facilitates the networking of the different practitioners and disciplines, involved in and associated with the acquisition of property rights.
- Promotes the development of its members through education and training.
- Underwrites the fair, ethical, transparent and professional conduct of its members.
The Sarwa Strategy
- Networking: Sharing information amongst members, practitioners, other professional bodies and IRWA.
- Development: Identification, development and presentation of appropriate courses. National and International certification of its members who have successfully completed courses. Continuous Development recognition awarded by SAGC and SACPVP. Social uplifting through education.
- Code of conduct: Adheres to the existing code of conduct and ethics.
- Marketing: Membership drive for SARWA acceptance by stakeholders.
- Funds: To raise and manage funds.
- International affiliation: SARWA is (Chapter 83) of the International Right of Way Association (IRWA).
History of Sarwa
In 1996 Jose Clara (Eskom Environmental Advisor) researched the internet on Rights of Way and found the IRWA (International Rights of Way Association) web page. He referred the details of IRWA to Ernest Grunewald (Eskom Land & Rights Manager). Ernest made arrangements for Bobby Richardson (Eskom Land and Rights Advisor) to attend the June 1996 IRWA Educational Conference in Anchorage, Alaska, USA.
During September 1997, a group of 40 right of way practitioners from various utilities got together for two days at Mabalingwe in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, to discuss the need to form an association, which some day could affiliate to the IRWA. The urgent need for such an association was agreed upon amongst the delegates. During a meeting held at Rand Water in November 1997, a Steering Committee was formed to facilitate the formation of the SARWA. On 21 April 1998, during a meeting held at the Eskom Conference Center, the South African Right of Way Association was founded and a draft constitution submitted to the delegates for approval.
During June 1998, five of the SARWA Executive Committee members attended the IRWA education seminar in Minneapolis, MN, in the United States to discuss affiliation with the IRWA. The IRWA finally offered SARWA international affiliate status on 29 February 2000. Two of our Executive Committee Members, Carl Visser and Bobby Richardson, eventually signed the agreement in June 2000 at the Educational Seminar held in Orlando, Florida.
The 10th anniversary of SARWA was celebrated at Gallagher Estate during the 10th Educational Seminar on 6 & 7 March 2008.
Past Chairpersons / Presidents:
About SARWA / IRWA Memberships
The value of SARWA and IRWA membership is experienced through being current, credentialed and connected. SARWA’s members are:
- Current, on the changing trends in right of way through our annual Education Conferences, Industry Newsletters and the Right of Way Professional Career Path.
- Credentialed, as a specialist in one of six right of way disciplines including our highest designation, the SR/WA or Senior Right of Way Professional, increasing their value to employers, clients and the profession.
- Connected, at the local, regional and international levels with access to a network of industry experts and right of way professionals.